Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Meatball Hoagie with Giardiniera Relish
- 8 Servings
- 20 mins Prep Time
- 35 mins Total Time
- Tip: For easier prep, start with Cheese Stuffed Italian Turkey Meatballs
- For the Turkey Meatballs:
- 1 lb 85% Lean Ground Turkey
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 x 1/2" cubes
- For the Sub Sandwich Toppings:
- 4 hoagie buns, lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup prepared giardiniera relish, pulsed briefly in food processor if necessary
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly into rings
|Serving Size||1/2 sandwich|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 33 g||42 %|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45 %|
|Trans fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 100 mg||33 %|
|Sodium 790 mg||34 %|
|Total Carbohydrates 25 g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0 g||0 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 18 g|
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This is a representation of the nutrition label. The actual nutrition label on the product may vary slightly.|
Step 1To prepare the Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs, preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 2Stir breadcrumbs and milk together in a large bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the egg, cheese, parsley, oregano, and salt. Stir until well blended.
Step 3Add the ground turkey and use a fork, or your fingers, to gently mix until combined. Do not over mix.
Step 4Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions.
Step 5Wet your hands. Form each turkey portion into a ball around a cube of mozzarella.
Step 6Place the meatballs on a half sheet pan and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
Step 7While the meatballs are cooking, spread mayonnaise evenly on hoagie buns, then add giardiniera relish (available at most grocery stores, near the pickles/olives).
Step 8Once the meatballs are finished baking, place 3 on each bun.
Step 9Top with thinly sliced red onion rings and sliced tomatoes.