Spicy Turkey Sausage Stew
- 4 to 6 Servings
- 15 mins or less Prep Time
- 30 mins or less Total Time
- Cooking spray
- 3 Hot Italian Sausages
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups frozen chopped okra
- 2-3 cups steamed white long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Crusty French bread (optional)
|Serving Size||About 1 1/2 cups gumbo and 1/2 cup rice|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrates 42g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 50%
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This is a representation of the nutrition label. The actual nutrition label on the product may vary slightly.|
Step 1Heat a large, preferably nonstick, Dutch oven on medium heat until hot and coat with cooking spray.
Step 2Add sausages and cook until well browned, about 10 minutes, turning frequently. Transfer sausages to plate, and when cool enough to handle cut sausages into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices. Note that the sausages will not be completely cooked.
Step 3Add the onion to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes.
Step 4Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and stir, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Step 5Add vegetable oil and flour and cook, stirring until the flour begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
Step 6Add tomatoes and broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Step 7Add the sausage and okra to the pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the okra is heated through and sausage is cooked, about 5 minutes.
Step 8Serve the stew in bowls over rice with green onions on top and French bread on the side.
Similar RecipesView All
Hungry for More?
Sign up to get exclusive coupons, recipes, and seasonal inspiration straight to your inbox.Join Now