Slow-Cooked Turkey Pozole with Avocado & Lime
- 6 Servings
- 15 mins Prep Time
- 6+ hrs Total Time
- 1 Split Turkey Breast, skin removed, about 2 pounds
- 2, 28-ounce cans whole tomatillos, drained
- 2, 4.5-ounce cans chopped green chiles, mild or medium
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2, 14.5-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1, 29-ounce can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
|Serving Size||About 1.5 cups (turkey skin not included in analysis)|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from fat||150|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 17 g||26 %|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15 %|
|Trans fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 75 mg||25 %|
|Sodium 1720 mg||72 %|
|Total Carbohydrates 46 g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 18 g||72 %|
|Sugars 9 g|
|Protein 40 g|
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 70%
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This is a representation of the nutrition label. The actual nutrition label on the product may vary slightly.|
Step 1Place tomatillos and green chiles in blender and blend until smooth. Add to an oval 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Step 2Add the cumin, salt, pepper, broth, onions and garlic, and stir. Then add the turkey and make sure it's completely coated in liquid. Cover; cook turkey to 165°F using a meat thermometer, about 4 hours on high or about 6 hours on low.
Step 3Remove the turkey from the soup and let cool. Shred the meat and return to soup; discard the bone.
Step 4Stir hominy into slow cooker. Cover; cook on high for 1 hour longer. Season to taste with salt.
Step 5Top individual servings with avocado, cilantro, cabbage and radish slices, and serve each bowl with a wedge of lime.